Almond oil is an age-old ingredient for health and beauty. Its use has been recorded much before science figured out the goodness of this seed oil. Almond oil is popularly used in Southeast Asia and the Mediterranean. Owing to the generous amounts of monounsaturated fatty acids, vitamin E, potassium, proteins, zinc, and a number of other vitamins and minerals that the seed and the oil contain, almond oil works wonders for the skin, hair, and health.
Note: There are two kinds of almond oils. The bitter almond oil, comes from pressing bitter almonds that contains amygdalin that turns into toxic hydrocyanic acid once it is processed (1). Though it has some medicinal properties, bitter almond oil cannot be ingested. This oil can be used for topical application only. Sweet almond oil is made from edible almonds. This oil is used extensively for skin and hair. This oil has culinary uses too.
Lets take a look at the benefits almond oil has to offer to enhance skin,
hair, and health.
Skin BenefitsAlmond oil is one among the many miracle oils that truly help in enhancing the complexion and dealing with a host of skin problems.
1. Makes Skin Healthier: Almond oil improves the complexion greatly and imparts a warm glow to the skin. It completely nourishes the skin, making it smoother and softer.
2. Reduces Dark Circles: A sure shot solution to get rid of dark circles is by massaging your under eyes with almond oil before you go to bed.
3. Delays Signs Of Aging: Applying almond oil on your skin regularly will make your skin feel younger and fresher.
4. Removes Impurities And Dead Skin Cells: The skin tends to look dull due to the accumulation of dead skin cells that originate due to external factors like pollution, dirt, sweat, etc.
5. A Good Solution For Psoriasis And Eczema: Almond oil is a time-tested remedy for all kinds of skin troubles like acne, psoriasis, and eczema. It soothes irritation and relaxes the skin.
6. Reduces Tan: Almond oil is a natural sunscreen and has SPF 5 (7). It not only reduces the likeliness of tanning and sunburn but also reverses the effects of the sun.
7. Substitutes For Hand And Foot Cream: Almond oil is a light oil, and therefore, is less greasy compared to other oils. It is a great substitute for hand and foot creams. It Smoothens the skin and makes it baby soft.
8. An Ideal Makeup Remover: Almond oil acts as an ideal makeup remover as it is lighter than and not as greasy as the other available options.
9. Treats Chapped Lips: Almond oil shall come to your rescue when you want those soft, pink lips to die for. You can make your very own lip balm to make use of its goodness (10). Every time your lips feel rough and chapped, you can just roll on a little, and you will be good to go.
10. Wrinkles And Fine Lines: Are those fine lines and crow’s-feet lowering your confidence? Pamper your skin with a weekend almond oil massage. Getting rid of wrinkles is one of the most known benefits of almond oil for skin. Massaging your skin with this oil will help in improving the blood circulation and tighten your dull, aged skin. Hair Benefits Is almond oil good for hair? Almond oil adds an intense luster to your hair and makes it healthy. Owing to its many cosmetic benefits, this oil is used in a wide variety of beauty treatments.
Here are some of the almond oil benefits for hair, listed in detail.
11. Long And Healthy Hair: Oiling your hair regularly definitely betters its health and quality. Of course, you would most commonly use coconut oil, but using almond oil to oil your hair might just notch up its sheen and texture.
12. Gets Rid Of Split Ends: Unhealthy hair is never a good sign. But the dirt and pollution, along with our busy schedules, never really help our case. This might be the solution to healthy, split end-free hair.
13. Can Substitute Shine Enhancers And Leave-In Conditioners: If you have dry hair, almond oil will come to your rescue. Of course, you can oil your hair and leave it in for a few hours, but that will not solve the problem completely. So, every time you wash your hair, you could gently massage in a few drops of this miracle oil that will condition your hair and keep it soft, hydrated, and shiny.
14. Treats Dandruff: Almond oil effectively cures dandruff by removing dead cells. It also nourishes the hair and keeps it healthy, and keeps hair troubles at bay.
15. Reduces Scalp Inflammations: Our scalp is frequently exposed to dust, heat, pollution, and chemical styling products. All of this can lead to inflammation. If ignored, this inflammation can cause an acute case of
hair fall and dandruff.
Health Benefits of Almond Oil.
We all know that eating raw almonds is extremely beneficial. But you might not know that almond oil too has its own set of health benefits. Take a look:
16. Prevents Heart Ailments: Sweet almond oil is loaded with monounsaturated fatty acids. These fats promote the heart’s health and prevent cardiovascular diseases (13). Cooking with a teaspoon of sweet almond oil is a great idea.
Any consumption of oil is good only when its intake is limited. Do not over do with the almond oil, and do ask a nutritionist or a physician before you consume the oil. Also, it is extremely important to be aware of which almond oil you consume. Make sure you pick sweet almond oil only. The bitter one is toxic.
17. Regulates Blood Pressure And Maintains Cholesterol Levels: Almond oil is known to solve a host of health problems. It helps keep type 2 diabetes at bay; it restores liver health and maintains the health of the heart (14). It also regulates blood pressure and maintains the cholesterol levels.
18. Boosts Immunity And Aids Digestion: Almond oil is known to boost immunity. Regular consumption makes the body stronger and enables it to fight common infections. It also proves to be an effective laxative and aids digestion.
19. Boosts Memory And Strengthens Nervous System: They say if you eat five almonds a day, your memory improves. Even almond oil boosts your memory and strengthens the nervous system.
20. Enhances Blood Circulation And Baby’s Bone Development: Massaging a newborn baby’s joints with almond oil enhances the blood circulation and also helps in the right development of the bones.
21. Relieves Pain And Muscles Stress: Any kind of massage is therapeutic, but a good massage with almond oil can also relieve muscular aches and pains.
22. Promotes Healthy And Strong Nails: Long strong nails look prettier when a good manicure is in place. If you especially have a nail biting problem, using almond oil will provide a strengthening solution (20). Beauty Benefits Of Almond Oil
23. Promotes Long Flirty Eyelashes: If you always dreamt of having long, flirty eyelashes, then make sure you apply almond oil on your lids.