Henna is known to thicken the hair strands thus serve as a good way to cure the hair thing problem at home easily. Make a paste of henna with some water and add one egg also. You instead of egg add 1 teaspoonful of amla or shikkakai powder. Mix it and apply on the hair. Wash it after 2 hours. Try this once in a week. It will color the hair but is a great way to put a stop to thinning of hair.
t creates a brownish-green powder which can be made into a thick paste to be used for body art as well. Natural henna for hair can be a great substitute for synthetic dyes because it leaves the hair appearing darker and stronger.
Benefits of using Henna Powder
1. Stops hair fall and promotes growth
Hair fall is one of the major problems when it comes to hair care. Natural Henna has properties which improve the health of follicles when applied to your scalp. This helps in reducing the amount of hair fall gradually which in turn increases hair growth.
2. Soothes the scalp
Henna is antimicrobial and antifungal, easing the persistent itchiness on your scalp. It cools the skin, giving a relieving effect. A busy day with your hair tied up has never gone as smoother as it does in the aftermath of a henna hair care routine.
3. Repair any existing hair damage
Our hair goes through much wear and tear daily. This means that often there is a lot of damage that occurs without us even knowing. Henna for hair can help in faster recovery.
Henna also increases the volume of your hair, making it thicker and lustrous.
4. Has a conditioning effect
Hair can become dry and get split ends. Henna, especially when mixed with egg, has a conditioning effect that deeply nourishes your hair and heals the existing split ends, giving smoother and better quality hair.
5. Maintains hair colour
You might think that this one is obvious since henna is a hair dye, but natural henna has antioxidant properties which prevent premature greying of hair, ensuring long-lasting natural colour even after its dyeing effects fade.
6. Maintains balance in pH and oil level
We have mentioned how henna conditions dry hair but did you know that it helps control oil production in oily hair as well? Henna calms your overactive sebaceous glands and results in a lower level of oil.
How to Prepare Henna for Hair?
To prepare the simplest type of henna pack to get you started, here are the required steps:
- Take the appropriate amount of henna powder (100 gm for short hair, 200 gm for medium length hair and 300 gm for long hair)
- Put it in a container that is preferably made of ceramic, glass or stainless steel. Be sure to not use any other kind of metallic container.
- Pour in warm water, little by little and mix using a spatula until the mixture reaches the consistency of yoghurt. Some people prefer to use tea water or coffee water for the henna to reach a darker colour while dyeing.
- Leave the mixture overnight in a warm place, making sure than the container is covered to create an airtight atmosphere for the henna. This will ensure a darker colour when applied.
- The next day, henna will be ready to apply.
How to apply henna on hair?
- Before the application of henna, you must shampoo and dry your hair to make sure that it does not contain any dirt or chemicals. Do not use conditioner when you do this. Your hair must be free of any additives.
- You can apply coconut oil or petroleum jelly along your forehead, ears and neck to prevent staining.
- Wear old clothes or a cape and hang a towel around your neck. Use gloves.
- Free your hair of tangles and divide into parts,
- Take a small section of your hair and start applying using a henna brush, from roots towards the tips, making sure the henna covers both the scalp and the hair.
- Wear a shower cap. You can leave the henna on for around 2 hours or longer if you want a darker effect
- Rinse with just water and use conditioner to ensure removal of residual.
- Use a spare towel as it will stain
You may be tempted to immediately peek in the mirror and find yourself disappointed. But remember that henna takes around 24 to 48 hours to reach its true colour.