Most people toss orange peels in the garbage without a second thought. But did you know that orange peels contain nutrients and phytonutrients that are extremely beneficial to the skin and can heal many skin conditions? In fact, orange peel extract is an ingredient in many beauty products today because of its effectiveness in brightening skin and reducing acne.
1. Vitamin C: Did you know that orange peels actually contain way more vitamin C than the orange pulp itself? Every 100 grams of orange peels contain 136 milligrams of vitamin C, while the fleshy inside part beneath the peel only has 70 milligrams/100 grams!
Vitamin C not only combats free radicals that destroy functioning skin cells but also helps add a glowing shine to your skin, which makes orange peels a potent beauty product for skin.
2. Calcium: You may be surprised to discover that calcium is actually very good for your skin, but it’s true! It contributes in renewing worn out skin cells and preventing DNA damage.
Every 100 grams of orange peels contains 161 milligrams, or 16 percent of the daily recommended value, of calcium, which makes them perfect for skin products. If you have itchy dry skin, be sure to check your calcium levels—they might be deficient!
3. Dietary fiber: Orange peels are a rich source of dietary fiber, particularly pectin. The dietary fiber provided by 100 grams orange peels is 28 percent of the recommended dietary allowance. Research shows that drying orange peels actually increases the production of pectin.
There are several ways to use orange peels for skin. Some of them involve turning them to orange peel powder, as explained above, while others simply involve grinding fresh orange peel to a paste or applying the peel itself on your skin.
Here are some useful benefits and ways to use orange peels for skin:
Home Remedies and Ways to Use Orange Peels for Skin:
1. Acne Begone!
Pimples occur when excess dirt, soot, or bacteria block your skin pores. How do orange peels help? Orange peels help to clean out your skin by extracting dirt from deep inside the pores.
An excellent way of using orange peels for acne is to create a simple face mask by grinding them to a paste. Apply the paste to your face. This will not only keep acne at bay but also prevent oily skin from producing excess sebum.
Another way to help treat acne is by regularly consuming oranges with the peels. Remember, the high amount of dietary fiber in orange peels helps regulate bowel movement, thereby preventing constipation. How does this help the skin? Regular bowel movements helps eliminate excess harmful wastes and toxins. Less toxins will also reduce the frequency of acne breakouts.
2. Orange Peels to Whiten Skin
Do you have blemishes or unexplainable dark spots on your skin? Orange peels work as a natural bleach and can help lighten dark blotches and remove them with time. What’s more, orange peels help lighten suntans and deflect harmful UV rays.
Take care to dilute the orange peel paste when creating a face mask because you don’t want to burn your skin—the peels contain a lot of citric acid.
3. Off with the Blackheads!
Orange peel masks also can extract blackheads. To make a simple mask:
- Mix one part yogurt with one part orange peel powder to make a thick paste.
- Apply the mask onto your face using gentle circular motions. Let it sit for 15 minutes before washing it off with lukewarm water. This not only provides a natural and non-painful way of getting rid of black heads but also removes the excess oil and dirt clogging up your pores.
4. Say “No” to Wrinkles
The powerful anti-oxidants in oranges fight off free radicals that damage healthy skin cells. These free radicals play a significant role in creating wrinkles and sagging cheeks. The significant amount of calcium in orange peels is also very effective for protecting against premature aging of the skin.
5. Tone Your Skin
The abundant vitamin C and anti-oxidants in orange peels prevent your skin from getting too oily or dry. When applied to skin, they also work as a toner, removing dead cells and dirt and tightening pores. Additionally, the calcium in orange peels contributes to anti-oxidant production, which makes dull skin healthy and glowing.
1. Orange Peel and Yogurt – Face Pack
Use this face wash over a period of time to remove stubborn tan. Take 1 tbsp orange peel powder, just a pinch of cosmetic turmeric, and 1 tbsp of natural honey. Mix everything well into a fine paste. Apply on the face and neck, and wash off after 5 to 10 minutes with any gentle face cleanser or rose water. Try not to use this on acne prone skin but if you decide to do so then follow it up with an acne skin face pack.
Take a tbsp of orange powder and add 1 tbsp of camlwood powder and a tbsp of walnut powder. Then add 2 to 3 drops of lemon juice and 2 tbsp of rose water to make a paste. Leave on the face for 5 minutes and rinse off to get bright skin which will give instant glow post gentle exfoliation.
4. Orange Peel, Multani Mitti and Rose Water – Face Pack
5. Orange Peel Powder and Lime – Face Pack